Sleep is one of the most central aspects to good health. It is a time where the mind and body is able to recharge. Sleep allows the immune system to strengthen itself, muscles to repair, and the body to reset itself to optimal health. It also is beneficial for things like memory, learning, creativity, and decision-making. Unfortunately, many people do not receive the amount of sleep recommended.
The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults receive at least seven hours of sleep each night while children should get even more sleep to be able to function well. Unfortunately, 70 million Americans do not get enough sleep, something the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called an epidemic.
Many people turn to eye masks to help block out light in order to help them sleep. While these eye masks work well for some people, they don’t work for others. This is because there are many reasons aside from light that may cause people to not get a good night’s rest. Thus, an increasing number of people are turning to weighted eye masks – an eye mask that uses deep pressure touch – to help sleep. Let’s take a look at this exciting sleep aid.
There are actually a wide array of benefits that can be experienced by people who use weighted eye masks to help them rest. Here are some of the biggest benefits.
- Helps Provide Quality Sleep for People with Various Conditions. Weighted eye masks have been shown to be quite effective for people with many conditions that often experience poor sleep. These include insomnia, attention deficit hyperactive disorder, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, autism spectrum disorder, and neurodegenerative diseases. In many cases, improved sleep can help reduce some of the negative symptoms experienced from these conditions as well.
- Provides Deep Pressure Therapy. Deep pressure therapy is drawing increasing interest. It is often referred to as acupressure. A weighted eye mask can provide pressure that is evenly distributed, which causes the body to naturally relax. Researchers have posited that the reason for this may be the stimulation of a natural reduction of the body’s stress and fight or flight responses. This serves to reduce levels of anxiety and help create sleep.
- Improves Your Mood. One of the biggest benefits often reported by people who utilize weighted eye masks is an improved mood. This is not particularly surprising as studies have frequently shown that people who do not get adequate sleep often find themselves experiencing increased levels of stress, anger, and sadness. Meanwhile, those who are well rested are more likely to feel like themselves.
- Can Provide Pain Relief. If you have read many of our blogs, you know the benefits of acupressure in providing pain relief. Weighted eye masks have this benefit as well due to their use of deep pressure therapy, a type of acupressure. Specifically, weighted eye masks often help in reducing headaches. In fact, many users will put them on and lie down when experiencing a migraine or severe headache in order to get relief.
- An Affordable Option for Your Budget. People who are having difficulty sleeping often turn to a variety of different products to help them including sleeping pills. However, these can be quite costly over time. By comparison, a weighted eye mask is a relatively inexpensive purchase and will last for a long time. People who find weighted eye masks to be effective in helping them sleep can save a lot of money by avoiding sleeping pills and other supplements.
How to Use
It is abundantly clear that weighted eye masks help provide valuable sleep for many people who are suffering from lack of sleep. While traditional eye masks simply block out light, weighted eye masks block out light while simultaneously providing evenly distributed deep pressure therapy. But how do you effectively use a weighted eye mask? There are a few things to consider.
First, you want to make sure that the mask fits you comfortably. This is why it is often best to find an ergonomic mask that allows for easy adjustment such as ones that use Velcro. This ensures an optimal fit and that you don’t have to worry about the mask pinching your hair.
Next, you want to ensure that you are sleeping on your back as this will allow the weight to effectively trigger deep pressure therapy. If you are a side sleeper, this may take a little bit to get used to. However, the deep pressure therapy will typically trigger your body to go into sleep mode, helping you adjust to the new sleeping position.
Weighted eye masks can also be combined with other types of natural therapies. For example, many people like to combine them with aromatherapy. Specifically, using essential oils such as lavender, peppermint, or chamomile in a diffuser while you sleep with your weighted eye mask can enhance the effect of the product.
Ultimately, that is it. Simply put the mask on when it is time for sleep and take it off in the morning. Some people prefer to place the mask in the refrigerator or freezer beforehand particularly when using it to assist with headaches; however, this is an option for personal preference. The weighted eye mask is an easy to use, effective solution for many people who struggle with getting a good night’s rest.
Try It Out
If you are one of the tens of millions of Americans that regularly do not get enough sleep and want to improve your functioning while decreasing stress and anxiety, a weighted eye mask may be the product for you. Aculief now offers a high quality, affordable weighted eye mask. Try it out today in order to improve your sleep and wake up refreshed. As a company committed to natural health solutions, we are committed to finding options to help you improve your overall health.